Answered By: Amy Conerly, Information Last Updated: May 12, 2020 Views: 7
The vendor for our new catalog system does not provide an app and we will not be pursuing development of a replacement app.
However, the new catalog utilizes responsive design, which means the catalog will adapt itself to any device so that all functions will be usable and viewable whatever the dimensions of the display. Someone using a smartphone will be able to have a near-identical experience as someone on a full desktop. We think the overall improved usability of the new catalog, in addition to the mobile responsiveness, will outweigh the loss of the app.
There is a way to save a shortcut to the library's catalog to mobile devices, which can act in place of an app.
- Open the library's catalog in your preferred browser.
- Tap the three button menu at the top right.
- Select Add to Home screen.
- Rename to something short like "Library Catalog" and select Add.
- Allow the phone to place the icon or drag and drop to your preferred home screen location.
- Open the library's catalog in Safari. (Only Safari will allow shortcuts to be created.)
- Select the Share button (rectangle with up-facing arrow). It will be on the top of the screen on an iPad and the bottom of the screen on iPhone and iPod Touches.
- Select the Add to Screen icon.
- Name the shortcut something short like Library Catalog and then select Add.
- The shortcut can be dragged and placed anywhere.